Saturday, February 6, 2010

It is really snowing!!

Yesterday there was a flurry of activity in Pittsburgh, as the citizens prepared for the anticipated snowstorm...the most snow predicted since 2003...up to twelve inches!

Of course, I found this very entertaining. They started calling school off early in the morning when it was still overcast. Then our school cancelled all activities for the evening at noon...and still nary a flake in the sky. Finally around 2 o'clock the first light flakes began to fall, and by 4 o'clock the giant flakes were falling rapidly and the snow started to accumulate. As the night wore on...the snow lightened, but it kept falling.




This morning we have over a foot of snow. It is the most beautiful snow I have ever seen. It is piled neatly everywhere. Gorgeous.



It finally snowed here.



The area is completely shut down. A disaster has been declared. Over 100,000 people are without electricity. 16 inches has fallen with more to come. The city is paralyzed. At 6 PM today they will lift the winter weather warning. In the meantime, it is a record.



Another record for our Pittsburgh adventure. 6 Superbowls. A Stanley cup in the same year. Now snow. Real snow.

We still have electricity, thankfully, though admittedly with the weight of the snow we may not sustain it for long. Ron has a generator in the back of his work truck.

I hear the four wheeler. Ron is playing in the snow with his snowplow. It is a really heavy wet snow, so I am sure it will keep him entertained for a while.

I haven't seen a snowplow since yesterday. Allegheny Co. owns 64 trucks, so I anticipate I will not see a truck anytime soon.

Adventure. Hopefully the kids will not land in the snowbank by noon today :) Grandpa assures me that if I have flour, sugar, eggs, and chocolate chips I will be fine!

...Check back later for more photos...Kiahra headed out to get better footage!

1 comment:

  1. Wait until I tell Caeden that Ron has a generator AND a 4 wheeler. He may want to come stay with you guys until the snow melts. :)

    Glad to hear you are all warm and snug.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete