Today I met my Flying Ace for lunch at our favorite little Thai restaurant.
As I was headed into Pittsburgh, a stop light wasn't functioning, and after cautiously adapting to an impromptu four way stop, I was on the main highway to the freeway; however, as I crested the hill, lights were flashing everywhere. As I slowed to a near stop, I took in the scene and realized that this stoplight was not functioning either. As I deciphered the action I realized that a car had been hit broadside. Emergency workers were attemtping to extricate from the mangled vehicle. More emergency vehicles were attempting to respond to the need, but were snarled in traffic.
As I eased by, I recalled something I had read recently about Americans not living in the "now", but their insistence to constantly look to the future or the past prevents them from enjoying the present. It is easy to do. Focus on the future, the goal. Our culture has taught that from a childhood. This carries over into everything we do. Why did the cars collide? Were they thinking about where they needed to go? Why didn't someone yield?
As I was reflecting on these thoughts, I arrived at my exit off the freeway which is complicated by a merging ramp. I automatically put on my blinker to ease in front of a white sports car, but instead of yeilding, she sped up, so I slowed down more and waited my turn patiently...though aware that I only had a few hundred feet. Nonetheless, the next car exchanged places with me and I again merged right. Safely onto my ramp, the lane the white sports car was in slowed and soon I passed the driver. I gazed at the young professional woman perfectly manicured and gripping the steering wheel with both hands looking straight ahead with determination. She too was responding to the American culture by not yielding to anyone in her way, she intended to reach the top someday.
Ironically, she refused to yield to me, and now I was now passing her. I find that this is often true in life. Whenever, I insist on doing things my way or want others to yeild to me, often I find myself falling a little further behind. However, when I yield to others I am rewarded amply.
Back to the scene of the accident, whatever happened, wherever they were headed was now impertinent. I am not sure it would even matter to some of the people...ever. Suddenly it puts everything in perspective. What could possibly be worth the price?
The present is all we are ever guaranteed. Live.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment