Thursday, February 18, 2010

North Shore

Today is my Flying Ace's last day of work. Yesterday, as we shared lunch together, several of his colleagues came in. As he introduced me, I listened quietly, as they graciously shared stories of Ron and his skill. Through the years, I have become accustomed to employees and colleagues sharing their thoughts with me at company parties or on the street. A common thread runs through their comments: "I have never worked for a man like your husband. He is an incredible boss. We exceeded the expectations and had fun. I would work for him or with him again anytime. I will miss him."

This is the essence of almost fifteen years of conversations that are spotted with stories of compassion about when a daughter arrived and Ron was accommodating, or a son was hurt and Ron accommodated. The joys and tragedies of living intertwined within the lives of people.

Ten years ago, an older man (yes, he probably was approaching 50 :) introduced himself to me on the street, just to express his gratitude for the opportunity to work with Ron. He said he had worked a lot of years for a lot of men, and he admired my husband's character and ability to manage people. I remember being surprised by this exchange...flattered because of course I love my husband, but the adamancy with which he felt compelled to share his viewpoint was powerful.

A couple days ago a telephone call came in for Ron from an employee that worked for him eight years ago...just to talk. Not unusual until I am sitting here today reflecting on all the special people we have met through our travels.

As I ruminate on Ron's career journey, I share this with you not to glorify my husband, but with the bittersweetness of the day...his final day on the job.

Sometimes I jokingly introduce myself as the "real" boss to keep the conversation lighter. Of course, every married man nods respectfully and says, "I know" with a twinkle in his eye. Though the degree of seriousness does depend on how long he has been married.

Our nomadic lifestyle seems in theory one of isolation, but to the contrary, these friendships follow us everywhere--thanks to modern technology. I am grateful for my husband's crazy career and the opportunities he has been given. I am grateful for these stories. I am grateful for the friendships that have been extended to us.

Farewell North Shore Project.

1 comment:

  1. Cute post! As the "real boss" tell me again why didn't come live by me!jk This move is going forward really quickly... sounds like your ready though! can't wait to visit! xoxo

    ReplyDelete