Never. Never say never. Through the years I have grown weary of remodeling. There I said it. I am tired. I love my home. Long ago I loved the challenge of changing the space and updating it. I still love it when it is done, but at the moment, I no longer enjoy the process.
When I tackled this bathroom, it was not intended to become a full remodel...but inevitably it did.
First Ron had to remove the shower (because my excessive cleaning caused some tiles to fall off and reveal the need...). This process revealed all the concrete in the floor beneath the tile, and to repair the floor perhaps it was best to remove it all. Demolition was grueling. Thankfully the small space made it a one man job!
Then I needed to make a plan for the bathroom. I procrastinated. Eventually, Costco had a shower on sale...one with glass :) It was perfect. It was actually what I wanted, but I hadn't wanted to spend the money on the ones I had found. I bought the white shower without a plan.
I still couldn't decide what to do. I didn't even pick up a great magazine or surf the net. I complained to my sister. I told her that the colors needed to stay neutral, so I didn't have to repaint (lazy) the white trim and doors and to keep the small space from looking smaller. I told her I had found some neutral tile that I liked...a natural version of white with small black squares. I wasn't sure... She told me I could add wainscoting to the wall where the tile had previously been attached with tar leaving gaping holes. I could paint the wainscoting black and distress it with the sander and go neutral for the the wall and ceiling. Excellent idea. Ron has always like black. I loved it. A plan. Ron was thrilled we were making progress, so thrilled he didn't really listen to the details...:)
Anyway, my gorgeous master bath before...
The fabulous new shower that was absolutely grueling to install. I have paraphrased my husband's feelings here as he attempted to decipher the poorly articulated instructions (I could have written a better book, albeit longer, but definitely better :). The experience fully reinforced his theory, "If it comes in a box, don't buy it." Actually, he would just prefer I don't buy anything, the box is just a convenient target.
Nonetheless, the patience he has acquired through the years was pivotal in the utter success of the project...doesn't it look good???!!!
The tile looks awesome too! I love it.
I am finally excited about this bathroom. So excited, I plan to paint the wainscoting tomorrow. This is significant, as I have not properly contributed much to this project, not even the plan (Thanks, Kristi for bailing me out here...). My husband has patiently done everything. I know I am pouting. I don't want to move again. I am afraid to fall in love with this project. He knows this too, but he loves me anyway between select words.
One more detail I like...
love it! hard to believe this came from that horrible awful thing you had to work with... hmm ron is kinda handy to have around... lucky he didnt scare after i kicked him at that rodeo ;)
ReplyDeleteOhhhh! I really like this! We have the same shower head - have you had a chance to try it out?
ReplyDeleteThe tile is darling, and I love the idea of painting the bead board black. CUTE. Isn't it nice to have a sister who is crazy talented at remodeling? Well, you both are, actually. Lisa probably is, too!? I envy that very much!
Beautiful work Ron.
Great post!!