Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Penguins

On Monday afternoon, an engineer that had been presented with tickets to the evening's hockey game approached Ron and asked if he would like them. I am sure he remembered that Kade really, really wanted to go to a professional hockey game...and he has a boy in Chicago...and a very big heart.

A Penguin's hockey game in a box seat (AKA Igloo) is a once in a lifetime opportunity for my son. His homework was completed in a flash. The dawdling eater cleared his plate in record time (I blinked) and was off to the game with Dad!

According to him, as they approached the lines the building looked like a football stadium with a bubble (dome). Then he continued to share that they found their seat in another bubble, the Igloo.

The game was against Buffalo, NY, so there was some healthy rivalry! However, the game was close, so both teams refrained from fighting to Kade's disappointment. Though he followed all the action closely and was delighted as Crosby made three goals with assists by Malkin (whose hat he now sports, and I suspect will until it falls apart). Plus he witnessed a hat trick! One of the bags fell short of its goal on the ice, so Kade had his moment to assist it over the wall, much to his delight!

He met the mascot, Iceburgh.






Kade's enthusiasm is so much fun to watch! I smile often as he recalls another detail from the night to share.

This morning I asked him about the long walk back to the truck after the game in downtown Pittsburgh. He said the alleys were pretty dark and creepy, AND that Dad kept teasing him that if anyone jumped out Kade could take them and he would run :) He was grinning from ear to ear.

2 comments:

  1. ... what kid could ask for better quality time with dad! Love how you wrote this... i can just feel kade's excitement! I will read this to jadin when he gets home and he will love it- then ask to live with you, i will say no way who would do all the chores if you left, then he will say "aw mom!" (with a huge smile). I know this because this exchange happens frequently and exactly the same each time... as you can tell we miss you!

    ReplyDelete