Since I covered the topic of death in my last post, it seems a logical progression to visit the topic of taxes next. As a kid, I remember hearing that the only two certain things in life are taxes and death. I always thought this was a bit of an exaggeration...but like so much of the wisdom of my elders, I understand it better now.
It is with dutiful resignation I accept taxes, like death, as inevitable. Therefore, when Ron suggested we get them done before he leaves, it was with great reluctance I found my faithful computer program and downloaded it. No problem. Next step was to backup last years return and transfer it to my new computer. Flash drive=no problem. It was going a bit too smoothly with no excuses to save it for another day. Next all the necessary documents were neatly organized in my drawer awaiting entry patiently. Again...too easy. Insert figures. Done.
That's it. My taxes are actually done. I haven't submitted them electronically yet just in case I forgot something. Actually, I am just paranoid because it was too easy to give away my money.
State residency usually gives me fits when we relocate. No one wants to play nicely. No one wants to share. Last year Montana and Pennsylvania were no exception. It took days to decipher partial residency laws for each state. So much for a "warm" welcome--"where is our $$$$$$$$?" Though this year I momentarily panicked when my software generated an underpayment warning while calculating my state return. My mind raced to figure out how that could be...then I saw the amount...are you ready?? $1.00. Whew.
Of course I anticipate that next year Pennsylvania and California won't play nicely either. I suspect California's current economic state will ensure they will hit us hard as we cross the state line.
Of course, we also pay local taxes here; however, like the state, they are equally accommodating--"We will just take 1% (or 3%) of your gross, thank you. Deductions? No." Well, there may be deductions, but the handful of exemptions aren't even in my vocabulary, so I know I don't qualify. Nor do I have any significant losses from investments.
Thankfully all my wealth exists in my family, so I wasn't hit too hard when the stock market crashed. Lucky me. Some folks check their stocks...I fold socks.
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So, what's this about California? Call me!
ReplyDelete