Thursday, March 18, 2010

Silver

Threads of silver and gold are woven into fairy tales.

A silver lining may be found in every cloud.

The jingle of silver coins in a pocket delights a child.

The trill of a flute is wrapped in silver.

As I gazed carefully into the mirror at my growing hair, I discovered threads of silver...lots of silver at my temples. I paused. As the first silver thread emerged several years ago, I added color. Sometimes lots of color! Now I am down to a little. I am ready to try natural again...or was. I am still 39.

Kiahra gazed at my roots, and I asked her what she saw and she said, "A bit o' gray."

"Silver." I corrected her.

"Why don't you go platinum, Mom?" she teased.

Smart girl. She knows what color platinum is and she knows the value of the metal. It isn't blonde either.

I suspect my silver temples are a gift...from my father. My father has had silver hair for years...actually as long as I can remember. I remember his hair turned silver around his face first, and he has always worn it well. And my mother's hair was status quo at forty. However, I come from a long paternal line of silver.

I sense I should be grateful, but Dad, silver is the second place medal! Though I must admit, it looks good--it glistens like silver against my dark hair. Perhaps with creativity I could sport it with style!

But...my daughter is going to kindergarten this fall. Oh, I know there will be other silver-haired mothers, but they will be older! I know! Maybe I should wait until after my oldest graduates, and then I too could graduate...to silver. In the meantime, I think I am going to ponder this gift...the color is excellent, but I am not sure it fits me right...I can't decide.

3 comments:

  1. You do realize that it IS gray you are just avoiding that factor Grandpa has silver cause his hair is lighter... you are just gray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAaah yes it is when the dark brunet hair mixed with the golden white rays of the sun that created the mistical color called silver/grey. Yet you still look beautiful and sexy! Even at 39.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is true poetry in your attempt to embrace the gray... I cant wait till you discover a wrinkle, lets see how you find the sunny side in that!jk I love your perspective always... and anonymous is right... miss you so much

    ReplyDelete