Friday, March 26, 2010

Smoky Mountains

As a little girl, I dreamed of the mountains of Tennessee. Of course, my dreams of Tennessee were fed by Dolly Parton's ability to put a wonderful story to music. Without a television, the sound of Dolly's voice triggered my imagination and I would dream of the little cabin in the mountains where this little girl grew up with great dreams. Though beyond the album cover, I never really saw her. I think the first time I really saw her was in the movie, Steel Magnolias.

Later, the novel, Christy, of a young school teacher who set out to teach in the mountains of Tennessee, captured my imagination again.

My grandmother knew I loved these things and dreamed of seeing Tennessee someday, so she always marked the Country Woman, Country Living magazine, or any other Reiman Publication to show me some of the farms and ranches in Tennessee and Kentucky that she had found when reading. We would sit together and talk about this countryside far away, and she would entertain a little girl's dreams of someday visiting those lush green hillsides where folks moved a bit slower and talked with music in their voices. As I grew older she would save the articles for me to read for myself.

Next weekend we are going to visit the Smoky Mountains. The little girl in me is so excited. I woke up this morning ready to count down the days. I smiled at myself because I feel all those dreams of my childhood bubbling to the surface. Dreams feed the spirit, and like Dolly who dreamed of things that sparkled and glittered in that little two room cabin, dreams manifest themselves in so many ways in our lives.

I never had the opportunity to visit the hills of Tennessee with my Grandmother though we did many times together in our dreams. Though I will think of her often as I traipse around.

My kids all know Dolly's music...and sometimes...okay, most of the time, some of them don't appreciate it at all...but someday I know that it will bring back memories of their crazy mother, and I know through the years they may grow to appreciate it a bit...

Though I can't wait to see Chayse's eyes light up when she hears Dolly's recorded voice at Dollywood. Chayse loves to sing, and together we sing "Coat of Many Colors" and "Jolene." Chayse will recognize the music immediately and give me an enthusiastic hug, as she proclaims, "Mommy this is the song we sing!"

We spend a lifetime trying to make special memories with ones we love, and I realize now that sitting next to my grandmother and talking about my dreams was just as important as anything else she did with me. Years later when I shared my memories of her in a birthday card, she told me she didn't remember all that, she just remembered it was fun. I know my children will remember the things I may forget through the years...to remember it fills the heart. The moments we laugh together and dream together.

Lately, I have begun to realize that dreams don't always have to realized...they feed the heart no matter what, but I feel lucky that I will get to visit this dream from long ago. I hope I can enjoy it through the eyes of that little girl from long ago when she curled up next to her grandmother and dreamed...

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post. So sweet and a reminder that taking an interest in a little one (whether related or not) is a connection that never fades.

    Are you meeting Brian and Co. while there?

    ReplyDelete