"...what is this starvation thing anyway??!!"
Well...it evolved from a series of recent events in my life.
The earthquake that rocked Haiti was the impetus, as the malnourished orphans and people were suddenly flashing across the screens in our lives. As I reflected with my father on the situation, he commented that it was unusual that the population would be that high on the island, as generally and pragmatically, the food supply controls population. Fertility drops automatically in malnourished people, and I have uncovered more on this in my starvation study that I will share with you later this week. It is also the trigger to my reference to the Grapes of Wrath earlier last week, as I was thinking of the woman who delivers a stillborn child due to her own malnourishment, but then nurses an old man who was so malnourished he could not eat. Another story in the news of one of the survivors that was rescued amidst the rubble against all odds many days afterwards was another provocation...his key to survival? Drinking his urine.
Equally important in my reflections was the reality of preparing to nourish orphans. As I prepared to meet their needs, I began researching what their nutritional needs would be and how we could meet their needs. Like Dr. Keys, I wanted to know what they needed and how to give it to them without overloading their systems and making them sick.
Then the backlash of public opinion resulted as the cries for help from Haiti hit a raw nerve with many Americans aware that we have suffering in our own country. Children are also malnourished in our country. They pillage and scrounge for food, as they are at the mercy of adults that may have the resources to receive food, but instead sell the food stamps or perhaps just don't qualify... Nonetheless, I am very aware of this issue personally, and the scenario I posted in my Hunger blog is real. It is a conversation I have had with my son. It is a conversation we revisit frequently. Also for one year, if asked what every child needs/deserves for school, Sunday school, or in therapy he would respond...food, safety, shelter. In that order, always. He even put food at the end of his rainbow for St. Patrick's Day last year. His perspectives and interaction with food has been fascinating to watch. I can attest that food affects development on every level, though I would like to understand better how it affects the reasoning process and ability to develop emotionally.
Lack of food has played a significant role throughout history. Most wars, thus the reference to the civil war in Gone With the Wind result in suppressing food from the enemy and eventually the hungriest will lose. Kings and queens are overthrown in hunger. Biblically, Jesus performed many miracles around food. Food is key to civilization.
Thus my interest in starvation. Thus my research because my debate brain loves to explore all sides of an issue. I have started a second book that is more subjective than the one I have been posting about, but has interesting insights. Though in my writing on starvation, I am attempting to be more objective on the topic, as I try out a more journalistic approach. Though perhaps the personal insight into my journey into starvation might give you, my patient readers insight into my desire to learn more about hunger. I appreciate your feedback. Are you learning anything? Am I leaving out or giving too much information? Are you confused, or just waiting patiently for more? Anything interesting to you? Do you want me to share my ideas like I did today and then uncover what I learn?
It is all an experiment...without starvation :)
Sunday, January 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
you hooked me... i cant wait to read more from you on this topic!
ReplyDelete