I remember holding her for the first time. I was enamored with her. Sleeping was not for her, however, as she feared she might miss something, so she would gaze at me with attentive eyes.
As she grew, I grew too. She taught me a lot.
Once, when she was barely nine months old, mom had asked me to keep an eye on her while she attended to something...I can't even remember what. As a teenager, I complied, however, I turned around a few minutes later, and I could not find her. Lisa! The panic filled my voice. Nothing. Not even a giggle. Where was this rambunctious little child? I dashed through the house searching to no avail. Suddenly, I stopped. I looked up, and from the top of the refrigerator she smiled down at me. My heart completely stopped. How did she manage to get up there?? And how would I get her down?? Instinctively, I reached for her and initially she wanted to play with me and dodge my arms. Terrified, I froze, afraid she would fall, but then she let me take her in my arms.
After she was safe, I gazed around, as I could not figure out how she had managed to accomplish this feat. Then I noticed a chair pushed up to the counter. She had climbed onto the counter...then the microwave...then the refrigerator. Little monkey.
Despite the years, this story still strikes terror into my heart. Eventually, I can grin about the vision, knowing the outcome now.
Of course, when she was in kindergarten and I was a senior in high school, I also remember taking her to school with me sometimes and walking her to her classroom. Then I went off to college, and I missed her. My most vivid memories of running and playing on the prairie are of her early years. Ironically, my own children have grown beyond that stage already.
That little girl has grown up. She is a mother now of three precocious youngsters (can you see me smiling?).
Another little girl has arrived on the scene, and I rest assured that sense of independence is being carried on by another generation.
The love of a good challenge is also present. As I watched Jadin scale the wall with zeal, I saw his mother...again.
Jagger captures his mother's gentle moments.
The cycle of life continues.
My memories are 27 years old today. Happy Birthday, little sis! I love you!
Awesome post!
ReplyDeleteThanks sis! I am really blessed to have such an awesome family... prob why i wanted so many kids! You could have gone a lil lighter with the 27's... or changed em to 22's ;) Wish you weren't so far away... i would have made you make me a cake to go with my written tribute! Luv you!
ReplyDeleteAwwww. Great post.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Lisa!!