Big flakes swirling gently to the ground fill the sky. Picture perfect, as I gaze outside enjoying a hot cup of tea after putting the last of the kids on the bus. Grateful that despite the chaos of the morning our school routine has returned.
Catapulted into 2010 with the same speed I left 2009, I am trying to pause and set goals for the year.
1. Enjoy my family and friends...even when the milk spills.
2. Write frequently. Start a book.
3. Appreciate life's gifts of health and sore muscles...
4. With strength embrace the challenges because that is part of living too...
5. Pause to recall special memories, as life really is only as busy as I allow.
6. Share stories with my children, as lessons are more palatable this way.
7. Laugh.
Benjamin Franklin would be disappointed in me, as my list is too short and lacks detail, but it helps me navigate more proficiently without becoming overwhelmed. Additionally, for the record, he was unable to achieve his goal of perfection despite obsessive attention to detail and documenting it carefully.
Nonetheless, Franklin's life is impressive. Interestingly, he left Boston and arrived in Philadelphia at 17. He liked Pennsylvania, and here I pause to think about the irony that he came to mind today, as I pause to reflect on Pennsylvania ground myself.
Perhaps, Franklin's list of virtues may merit thought today.
1. TEMPERANCE. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation
2. SILENCE. Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
3.ORDER. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
4. RESOLUTION. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
5. FRUGALITY. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
6. INDUSTRY. Lose no time; be always employed in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
7. SINCERITY. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
8. JUSTICE. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
9. MODERATION. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
10. CLEANLINESS. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, clothes, or habitation.
11. TRANQUILITY. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
12. CHASTITY. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
13. HUMILITY. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.
As I have been working hard on temperance for the past seven months, I was feeling like it was a good time to reflect on Franklin's insight, and then the second one trips me up immediately...silence. Wow! That is tough though I understand the merit, and I do try to avoid gossip or judgement in my conversations, but ensuring that when I speak I am benefiting others or myself is bit trickier. Perhaps I should add that to my list.
As I type and reflect on Franklin's virtues, I realize that centuries later the wisdom is still just as applicable to our lives, and maybe my quick assessment of Franklin's failures is inconsequential, but the striving to journey with virtue is momentous. I need to reserve my assessment of success not on what wasn't accomplished, but what was accomplished.
Irony arrives again, as the DJ just commented that Tiger Woods was named athlete of the year, but he was left wondering if he would have been selected if the decision hadn't been made several months ago. Twelve really tripped Tiger up, though he is far from alone. The politicians that have fallen in recent years probably made Franklin roll over in his grave in light of the seriousness in which he undertook his public service.
As I contemplate this, I realize that as I journey through life, I will strive to do so with virtue...for my children...for my family...for my country...for my world.
Works Cited
Franklin, Benjamin. The Autobiography. The American Tradition in Literature. Eds. George Perkins, Sculley Bradley, Richmond Croom Beatty, and E. Hudson Long. New York: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, 1990. 303. Print.
Monday, January 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Not so fast... I believe Mr. Franklin had an affair (like 1728) with a woman that resulted in the birth of his illegitimate son William. So I guess he probably rests soundly after all! hee hee
ReplyDeleteHow could I forget that?? Sheesh...you are right, he is resting peacefully! Though I am grateful he stopped at one :) (child that is...I won't presume to know anything about anything else...)
ReplyDeleteI did not get to share Franklin's virtues with the sophomores this year! They are not in the part of the text that I cover. It was always fun to explain "venery" and its etymology. heehee.
ReplyDelete