Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Five and Dime

My grandfather always referred to Ben Franklin as a five and dime. It was one of those things I just accepted as a grandchild. I didn't realize that one hundred years earlier a nickel or a dime would buy anything in a variety store.

My grandfather always enjoyed remembering years and dates, and he frequently pointed out interesting details surrounding those numbers. Of course, I also took this for granted, not realizing that I would really struggle to recall years and dates with such accuracy. For example, when I turned eight on July 8, 1978, he noticed.

Tomorrow Chayse will be 5. Kade will be 10. Chayse is half Kade's age. If my calculations are correct this will be the only time Kade is twice her age.

They will be my little five and dime'amites this year.

Now if a nickel and a dime would have just covered those birthday presents I need to go wrap...

1 comment: