Comments:
parks3 said...
Not so fast... I believe Mr. Franklin had an affair (like 1728) with a woman that resulted in the birth of his illegitimate son William. So I guess he probably rests soundly after all! hee hee
January 5, 2010 11:58 AM
Lori Parks-Klinghagen said...
How could I forget that?? Sheesh...you are right, he is resting peacefully! Though I am grateful he stopped at one :) (child that is...I won't presume to know anything about anything else...)
January 5, 2010 1:29 PM
As I reflected on my sister's comment yesterday, I was compelled to determine the time/age at which Benjamin Franklin created his list of virtues and kept his daily log. I was curious about when his illegitimate son arrived within this time frame.
As I was seeking information, I uncovered a newspaper, The Vancouver Sun, which featured an article about him entitled, "Benjamin Franklin, Self-Improvement Guru", which was published yesterday.
This article prompted me to consider trying out journalism. All this time I have questioned how my random correlations could be of any interest to anyone? Then I uncover an equally random reflection. It gives me hope.
Anyway, back to the time frame within Ben's life that he created his virtuous list. Apparently at the age of 20 (1726) he started this project, and his son arrived 2 year later. Therefore, my initial theory that he had his son young and needed to make changes to his life is not applicable. Rather he set the standard and then failed to remain chaste. Interesting. However, he was not married during this time period unlike the others I previously mentioned.
As I continued to seek information about Ben, I uncovered an article written by Walter Isaacson for Time entitled "Citizen Ben's 7 Great Virtues." The following excerpt is an insightful look into Ben's perspective a few years later.
"Franklin's favorite device for poking fun at social mores and political outrages was the hoax. Unlike the frauds perpetrated by Stephen Glass and Jayson Blair, Franklin's satires were meant to be playful and to make a moral point, although they did occasionally deceive. "The Speech of Polly Baker," for example, purports to recount the speech of a young woman on trial for having a fifth illegitimate child. Franklin, who had fathered an illegitimate child but taken responsibility for him, was particularly scathing about the double standard that subjects her, but not the men who had sex with her, to humiliation. As Polly says, "I readily consented to the only proposal of marriage that ever was made me, which was when I was a virgin; but too easily confiding in the person's sincerity that made it, I unhappily lost my own honor by trusting his; for he got me with child, and then forsook me. That very person you all know; he is now become a magistrate of this county." By doing her duty to bring children into the world, despite the fact that no one would marry her, and being willing to do so despite the public disgrace she argues that she deserved, "in my humble opinion, instead of a whipping, to have a statue erected to my memory." The court, Franklin wrote, was so moved by the speech that she was acquitted, and one of the judges married her the next day. Only years later, after the account was reprinted in both America and England, did Franklin reveal it was a hoax. As Franklin knew, humor was the gentlest yet most powerful way to make political points, and America would always be strongest when it was confident enough, and self-aware enough, to laugh at itself."
Fascinating approach to a subject Ben had personal experience with during a time when it was harshly judged, though obviously the judgement towards him would have been milder, but his willingness to acknowledge the discrepancy rather than just keep quiet gives me a glimpse of his character.
This also reveals Ben as a pivotal writer in early American history. His astute attention to detail makes his writing a bit dry at times, like his wit, but nonetheless important and under appreciated by most students.
Perhaps, I should revisit some of his writings, as, frankly (wonder if that has roots in Ben too, as this was often his approach...), I didn't enjoy him much before beyond his aphorisms.
"If you would not be forgotten
As soon as you are dead and rotten,
Either write things worthy reading,
Or do things worth the writing."-Benjamin Franklin
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment