Friday, January 8, 2010

Winter Weather Conditions


Snow day!

Terror grips my heart like a horror movie. I gasp for breath. Paralyzed with fear, my body is frozen and unforgiving, as I gaze outside at the branch that has snapped off in the strong winds of the night under the pressure of the heavy snow. Breathe. Bend. Flexibility is the key here. Gradually feeling and mental function return as I grapple with reality.

Currently, it is 11 degrees and lightly snowing. A couple more inches of snow have fallen overnight bringing total accumulations to possibly 8 inches. The wind is blowing bringing temperatures to -4. The wind chill is not the danger here when the wind blows, but rather the risk of electrical outages as the branches fall. Yesterday the power went out at the elementary school at 2:45 leaving teachers to supervise in the dark for 45 minutes before buses departed.

The distinctive beeping of the snowplow is heard before coming into my view, as it generously sprays the roads with chemical to alleviate the icy conditions; however, the low temperatures reduce the effectiveness leaving those delightfully narrow, steep, winding roads icy and unpredictable creating perilous conditions for buses.

Beep, Beep, Beep. The warning system echoes down the street. Perhaps I should install one for my children’s safety. A slow beep indicates Mom is nearing. A rapid beep indicates system over load and orders will begin rapidly spraying, except the chemical reaction is expected to occur immediately.

Now what was so bad about that school bus cruising down the icy hills of Pittsburgh again?? Ah, yes, my desire to be somebody’s mum.

As I turn from the window, I smile at the irresistible, overflowing enthusiasm of my children. What makes the prospect of no school so cool? No more pencils. No more books. No more teacher’s dirty looks.

With a sly grin, I decide I can endure…though my kids will also endure a few chores before snuggling in for a warm day of fun…

No comments:

Post a Comment