Monday, January 25, 2010

Hunger

Refrigerator Inventory--

Moldy Chicken

Beer

Pantry Inventory--

empty

"You know how breakfast is the most important meal? I didn't eat breakfast very often."

"Once we had frozen pizza for supper, but (Name) didn't take it out of the oven soon enough, so it was black. I didn't eat it. I went to bed hungry."

"There was a dumpster across the street. It was big and had two lids that flipped back. I could lift my brother up so he could crawl into it, and then he would help me up."

Special Treats

half eaten bags of chips
partially drank milk cartons
the bottle that had the picture of the bunny on it that had chocolate milk in it--big grin...
leftover baskets of fries or chicken nuggets or half eaten burgers
cheez-its

*******************************************************
Definitions according to Webster's New World Dictionary of American English, Third College Edition

Hunger--the discomfort, pain, or weakness caused by a need for food

Starve-- a)to die from lack of food b)to suffer or become weak from lack of food

*******************************************************

Hunger is actually triggered by sensory nerves in the body that trigger the brain to desire food. Studies abound on the effects of hunger on children associated with their performance in school, thus the emergence of breakfast at school programs.

However, I have been unable to find any extensive studies on the development of the brain that is constantly hungry. I did stumble upon a study done on conscientious objectors during WWII that volunteered to help by participating in a starvation study. I am going to the library today to check out a book written on the subject. I really wanted the original study that was published, but I haven't found it yet.

The excerpts of follow up interviews years later intrigue me, and I am anxious to uncover the entire story. Though every volunteer that was still alive said they would do it again to help others who had lived through those circumstances.

********************************************************

As I considered the plight of so many people in the world news, I found myself wondering what the results of their hunger and suffering would be. So many countries struggle with violence in the aftermath. Why does the brain react this way? Why after food has been delivered and hunger has been alleviated does it continue? What happens in the brain that perpetuates this violent cycle?

Hunger is not limited to third world countries. It exists in our country too. Children are frequently the victims despite all the programs designed to alleviate their hunger because children are at the mercy of the adults in their lives. On a personal basis, I have observed the longer lasting effects of hunger. I struggle to comprehend the actions of the aftermath, as it seems that if one adds food the struggle should end. Simple, right? Not at all...

Thus, today I start my research based writing project, and I hope to create a series of articles from research I uncover.

1 comment:

  1. So.... If your are starving to death and find food? Does this give you permission not to have manners. Better yet after starving and later lounging because knowing you will never have to miss another meal again... Do you have permission not to use manners. How long do you suppose it takes before the retraining begins and ends?

    Onry

    ReplyDelete