Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tuesday Morning

Birthday presents. Errands. A busy morning.

Tuesday morning is evidently a popular day for the older generation to shop too. The pace was a bit slower for me than usual. I discovered that I didn't mind it, though I had to consciously make the effort. Actually, eventually, I even relished it. I paused to shop more carefully and even found myself relaxing.

The couples around me came in every variety. Spicy. Tame. Sharp. Nutty. Bitter. Fruity. Salty. Sweet. All of them had teamwork. The years had simmered the distinctive flavors into their relationships. Smiles were frequent.

During my excursion, a lady in front of me accidentally dropped something on the floor as she was trying to put it into the cart, and she paused. I immediately navigated myself into a position to pick it up for her, but initially she did not see me and ever so gently she attempted to bend, and it was obvious that she would not be able to retrieve the object, so I spoke, "Please let me get that for you."

As I handed her the item, I looked into her eyes. They were soft and the creases deepened as she smiled warmly at me. She kindly thanked me a voice wrought with age. Then she proceeded to genuinely wish me "a wonderful day." I felt the warmth of her wish in my heart, and I know it showed in my smile.

My heart has held this image close today.

As I pondered the complexities of age, the riddle of the sphinx came to mind. “Which creature in the morning goes on four legs, at mid-day on two, and in the evening upon three, and the more legs it has, the weaker it be?” Life is a fascinating cycle. Perhaps it was suitable that Oedipus was the only man according to Greek mythology that solved this riddle by answering, "Man—who crawls on all fours as a baby, then walks on two feet as an adult, and then walks with a cane in old age."

Despite his ability to solve this riddle, Oedipus struggled to "see" the truth within his own life and when it become clear to him he took his own sight. Of course, this is revealed by Tiresias, the blind prophet who can the "see" the truth more clearly than those who see. Irony. Tragedy. Fate.

While the Greeks are renowned for their tragedies, they also loved comedy. At times their comedies would have only aired on HBO or Showtime due to the content. Americans sometimes think they invented lewd comedy, but alas, it was alive and well many, many centuries before.

These elements are intertwined throughout our lives...tragedy and comedy. The Greeks identified this. The aforementioned couples have survived tragedy though, I am sure, not without scars. They can find humor in life's routines as well. As do I.

Frequently we want to protect others from tragedy and pain, particularly our children. The reality is we cannot. As a matter of fact, the details that Oedipus needed to see the truth were kept from him, in an attempt to protect him. Ironic... again.

Life. Tragedy. Comedy. Irony.

Live. Cry. Laugh. Accept. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment