As I was waiting at the bank today (longer than usual), I realized I could only read every third sign. On my way out, I discovered that the posters in the store front windows were indecipherable to me.
School notes usually resemble the multi-language manuals that accompany most purchases which require instructions.
I hear so many languages around me everyday that I no longer notice how seldom I hear English.
I really don't mind. The concentration of people is so high here that it can be overwhelming. I have come to prefer the conversations around me to be in other languages on my morning walks because it doesn't interrupt my train of thought. If one does not understand the words, it is easier not to be distracted.
However, I had a friend call me for a referral for a doctor. As she wrote the name, she asked, "Is English her first language?" Ironically, when I started searching for doctors, I started checking the language list. Initially, it felt a bit discriminatory to me, but I honestly I was not comfortable with broken English in my medical care. (Just for the record, to the ear of an English teacher it is most certainly "broken.")
It wasn't until I was driving through San Francisco that I noticed a large sign proclaiming, "Chinese Hospital," that I fully realized you seek care with whom you are comfortable culturally. It is more than just language--it includes the nuances.
The common misunderstandings that result in so many business transactions I encounter simply are not palatable in my medical care. I don't mind eating the meal I didn't order. I don't mind being directed to the wrong part of the store...well most of the time ;) I don't mind pointing at what I want. My nonverbal communication has increased significantly.
Now, if my children would just bicker in another language...it would be perfect!
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment