Monday, April 18, 2011

Empire Mine

Tucked in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, the Empire mine rose out of the gold rush. In 1850 the journey into the depths of the earth began. It operated for 106 years.

Today the local folks continue to restore the mine site they were successful in preserving as a state park.

As we neared the park, I noticed the stone fence first. It was constructed out of the waste rock.

The visitor's center carefully documents the known history. The Assay Office would have been pivotal in determining the quality of the gold. Though the Empire Mine would mine the highest quality, richest gold vein in California.



In 1898, the Bourne family built a "cottage" complete with electricity near the mine. The brick was brought from Sacramento to compliment the waste rock in the construction. Two large fountains were in the front yard. The garden was beautiful with over 900 roses. I suspect a visit when the roses bloom may be necessary.



Recovering the ore from the hard, quartz rock required big equipment.




In front of the mine office, I captured a rare moment between daddy and his little girl...who turns 13 on Saturday.




When in doubt, dance through life.



Anxious to see the 45 degree shaft, Kade waited patiently for us, well, not really. It sounded a bit like, "Hurry up!"



The shaft was my favorite. Ron narrated the details to me. They even recycled the old rail to reinforce the tunnel. I could almost imagine descending into the darkest on the toboggan-like man car at 600 feet per minutes.



Ore cart lesson. I loved the many moments of sharing that occur ed throughout the afternoon. Kade's mechanical curiosity made me smile. Like father, like son.



Enamored with the original glass.



Ron enjoyed the look back at mine rescue in the early days.



I really wanted this sign for my son's room!



Tomorrow: Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment