Thursday, April 15, 2010

The box arrived from Amazon.com. Kiahra brought it quietly into the house and waited patiently before telling me about its arrival.

"It is April, Mom," she stated referring to the fact her birthday will be here soon.

"Oh, well, this a gift for Liddy's storybook baby shower on Sunday."

I let her open the box, and Kiahra pulled out the storybook which Chayse and I looked at, while she unwrapped the two other books quietly. I watched her as she just glanced at them and shoved them under the packing.

Chayse was quietly waiting with anticipation, and finally she said, "Can I see?"

"They aren't appropriate," Kiahra snapped and shoved the box aside.

At this point I was a bit concerned. The other books I ordered were translations of ancient Greek poetry and writing, so as I reached for the box, worried my order was mixed up.

As I dug for the books and pulled them out I confirmed they were correct, so I glanced at Kiahra quizzically. She gave a me look of disgust, so I looked again...and then I realized they had photos of ancient Greek art on the front cover. At this point I smiled and explained to Kiahra that the photos were of an ancient Greek statue and pottery. Still unimpressed, she reiterated her previous statement and with a flip of her hair walked away.

I laughed. Then I had an idea!



Our new home in California has this great architectural detail in the front room. It is my understanding this is a view from near the front door. Anyway, I am thinking a replica of a Greek statue would be perfect, as I suspect it will keep unwanted male companionship from entering my house! Or at least serve as a reminder that boys aren't too cool??

Any thoughts??

2 comments: