Last week I had a realtor call me inquiring who my listing agent was, as she had a client who wanted to purchase my home. Interesting... I know the entire neighborhood is aware we will be selling our home, but why wouldn't they just ask? Anyway, as the conversation progressed she offered to become my listing agent and even suggested her colleague if I wasn't comfortable with her. I listened and told her I would call her early this week after I had spoken with a couple potential realtors.
She called last night at 5:00. I was very busy, but she asked me how it was going and I told her I would be meeting with listing agents later this week, to which she replied, "How can I get on the list?"
Confused, I said our home wouldn't be listed for another week or so.
So she clarified, "No, so I can be considered as a listing agent."
No mention of the client who wanted to buy my home. She cold called me last week. Now she wants me to list with someone who basically lied to me?
I am struggling with the ethics of the situation here. If she wanted to list my home, an approach such as this..."Good morning, this is...from....and it has come to my attention that you may be listing your home due to relocation. You have an appealing home in a delightful cul de sac neighborhood, and I would interested in helping you market your home if you are seeking a listing agent."
That would have been more acceptable though still not appealing to me; however, I understand the initiative to sell, but it needs to be honest.
Nonetheless, after she called I received a direct contact from a family in the neighborhood that is interested.
Anyway, I told her I had appointments this week, and she told me she would call me back next week to see if I was still seeking an agent.
Now that I have had the opportunity to evaluate and reflect on our conversation...do you think it would be acceptable if I simply told her that I was not interested in listing with someone who under the guise of offering a buyer was simply seeking the opportunity to be my listing agent?
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Strange! if she is shady she already knows and if she isn't she could benefit from an honest convo about her random, intense and unplanned calls. I say go for it and let her know... everyone likes some closure!
ReplyDelete