it hurts.
The soccer game was tied 7-7 with minutes to go this morning. Kade was headed to the goal when he went down and took a good kick to the jaw. As his face contorted in pain I was already out of my chair and in slow motion running diagonally across the soccer feild. My legs felt week and sluggish. As I reached my son, I examined his war wound. The mommy who struggles with all forms of trauma looked in his eyes and had him move his jaw. With momentary relief, I walked him to the side of the field and gave him a big hug.
His coaches assured me he would be okay...though they don't know how many times this child has been in the emergency room or the tolerance he has for pain that initiated my response. Though the assistant coach commented that she was impressed with my speed, as I sprinted across the field. Funny to hear her perspective. Anyway, Chayse told Daddy later that Mommy ran fast because she has been running on that thing-a-ma-jiggy (elliptical).
"She even ran faster than me," Chayse proclaimed.
As the swelling and scrapes started to emerge I captured these images for Daddy to evaluate. The swelling is difficult to see, but it is very noticeable all the way to his neck. The bruising will come. In the meantime, I suspect Kade will enjoy a few episodes of Dr. Quinn snuggled in on the couch away from the cold and rain this afternoon.
Though Daddy did elicit a smile or two, as he told him, "You don't have to bite their shoes to keep them from scoring. The foot is fine for blocking...you can save the jaw for later!"
As I sit here, I am starting to feel that morning sprint a bit...
LOL i love Rons approach... calm and loving concern lined with confidence building humor... it never fails to make me smile! In fact i steal his tactics (sometimes quote him verbatim when occasion arises) whenever i can swallow my panic!
ReplyDelete