As the phone picked up and I heard the familiar West Virginian drawl on the other end, I felt the relief flood my heart. Mining is a small world. Our friends are everywhere. The explosion on Monday made me pause on many different levels. The stories of the victims make my heart ache. I feel a strong link to the widows and children. It is not the first mining tragedy I have experienced since I became a miner's wife. Someday I would love to write a story about the early struggles in the mining industry as a tribute to all those who have lost a loved one.
Though the criticism of the people who work in mining hurt even more. I heard mumblings about the miners knowing the risk and their need to learn to work safe. Of course, on the most basic level, the desire to provide shelter, food, and clothing for one's family wasn't mentioned.
I was angry for days. I felt hurt that the people who utilize the power of electricity to view the atrocity failed to comprehend the link to coal, much less consider how they too contributed to the atrocity through their consumerism. I feel the tendency to criticize from afar is so easy but equally detrimental to a country already struggling to unite. I love our diversity, but respect for each other must exist or that diversity will destroy the core of our freedom. It is easy to forget that coal generates a significant amount of power in the United States. Power runs our country on every level. It should not be taken for granted or viewed with ingratitude. The irony that the stories are produced on computers that depend on electricity doesn't even comfort me.
Secondly, every miner does indeed know the risk. I know the risk well. I also know that our soldiers know the risk, and they embrace it for their country. I know our policeman and rescue professionals also encounter risk daily. Many folks throughout America know the danger of their occupations. Many folks embrace their jobs with heart and love of people.
I also know that opportunities are limited in coal country. I know many folks live in poverty. Real poverty. It is easy to tell folks to do something different, but when the discrimination in America rears its ugly head it isn't so easy. In a country where we value white collar workers (which tears at the very principle of equality that this country was founded on), it is easy to forget the intelligence that must exist within the blue collar class. There is no room for error. A wrong move in mining can't be fixed. All workers must be fully engaged and aware at all times. They can't ignore a phone call and go to lunch. They can't lose a deal and shrug it off and find another one. They can't ignore an incompetent co-worker, as he threatens their very existence. Teamwork is essential. This capacity to work with others at this level forges a trust and camaraderie that creates a impressive bond that transcends personal differences. It is hard work and it requires far more intelligence than most folks care to even understand. Their English may or may not be articulate or grammatically correct, but they have skills that are vital to their survival and to the operations of America. They also have a lot of heart.
The compassion that links the human spirit is lost when folks lash out in judgement rather than reach out in love for other human beings. Why is it so difficult to show kindness? I cannot help but wonder if their mothers told them to think before they talk...and if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all...
Of course, this precludes intellectual discussions that are helpful in reducing the risk in the future. Aristotle recognized the importance of rhetoric as a means to seek truth which is vastly different than hurtful speculation. As a country we need to embrace the truth from all viewpoints, and we NEED to listen to each other and balance our emotions with our intellect. It is a difficult balance but essential to our future.
May each family that is struggling to navigate the rawness of their loss of a loved one in the recent explosion know that my heartfelt prayers extend to you each day. May you find the courage to face the future with love and compassion. The legacy of your loved one will not be forgotten.
Hopefully someday the true interdependence of the people of America will be fully recognized and appreciated...equally.
Saturday, April 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment