Friday, April 30, 2010

Couch

The ol' couch left today. Kade came downstairs as I was working, and unknowingly, started telling me that this ol' couch is his favorite in the whole house. As he described how comfortable it is when he curls up on it...I felt my heart tighten and tears swell because I knew. Slowly, I gathered the courage to tell him the ol' couch would be donated today. His disappointed devastated me.

As I pondered his attachment, I realized that we have had the couch since shortly after he was born. All of his memories are on that couch. Scooting up it to look out the window as a toddler or snuggling in to read a book or joining his sisters for a picture or jumping off it like superman--all are wrapped up with him under that cozy place under the blanket. That is what has made the ol' couch the most comfortable...all that love...all those memories.

An ol' couch...but a lifetime of memories for a little boy.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, that made me sad! I can close my eyes and see John and Kade on that couch, or flying off that couch!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete