Last night, I was at the grocery store when the cute, little boy behind the checkout counter looked up at me and said, "I like your hair. It is really cool for a mom."
I smiled. I own one of these teenagers, and I was relieved to discover that the entire species hands out compliments with a twist. Nonetheless, I still smiled because I was flattered he noticed my "cool" hair.
I am a mom. A mom I will always be. In a society where youth is valued this can be a challenging transition for women who tend to be valued first for their appearance...particularly in youth, so the reality of fine lines and gray hair send us shuttling to a solution (like flashy hair colors), so we can hang onto our value a bit longer.
The reality is we are valuable as mothers, very valuable...far more valuable than youth. Ask any child who has lost a mother.
Age gracefully. I would sometimes hear that as a child, and I was never sure exactly what that meant. Now I understand. I want to wear my age as one does a favorite pair of shoes. To slip into the years ahead with grace and style...to be comfortable in my journey and within myself.
As a final aside, last year my oldest daughter reached my height with blonde hair that was kissed by the sun from swimming, bronzed skin, and the clothes...which can only be worn by youth. But she was still my little girl. Until one day when the waiter that was lingering at our table to ensure everything was perfect triggered my mother radar, and suddenly epiphany dawned...my daughter was attracting attention. The beauty of youth worn by another generation.
I have another daughter who is also growing up quickly, and in the meantime, I will enjoy my youngest daughter's childhood. Though I hope they will age gracefully and confidently.
I am a mom. I can show them how it is done.
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment