A few weeks ago, I discovered a poem that had been left behind on the floor after my oldest daughter was up late completing her poetry project. My children are very independent learners and do not welcome any intervention or preview of their English projects. However, the floor is fair game :) Nikela's masterful weaving of language and memories squeezed my heart tightly.
Forever Memory
November winds bring me chills
Yet here I sit, unmoved by the cold
We used to sit and talk; you understood me
Your kindness brought our families--old, new, troubled, and happy together
For days nights months and years,
You held strong, no harsh words cutting deep
Actions so gentle the wild wolves were tamed
Ninety –two years come and gone yet your mark still here
So deep, so treasured, you will never be gone:
Your blanket, knitted for me lay here at my side.
Your memories are haunting, but never dreaded;
Like a dream, a wish; you left your footprints here
Clouds roll in, I feel you here… I turn
No one’s there, just a cold November breeze.
A tear comes with the rain, yet upon the sky I feel you there
Whispering your last good-bye
Before that call that changed your meaning
A silent prayer and quick I love you
Hoping you hear through these cold November winds
Whispers of I love you carried through the breeze
Like your memories through my mind
by Nikela Klinghagen
Written Statement:
During the cold month of November my great grandmother breathed her last breath. Francis Parks was ninety-two years old and loved by all the family. It was a cold day and little bit of snow in the state of South Dakota, I was out visiting, and on a hunting trip in December; my last day there I stood out and over looked the ranch that my great grandma raised her children as well as nephews and nieces and grand children in the summers. Her memory haunted me, she used to stand in that exact spot and just watched the land. She was a big part of our lives and will never be forgotten.
Friday, April 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment