Monday, April 5, 2010

Day 2

Up and at 'em...early. I made a quick breakfast, and we headed out to use our Dollywood tickets for the second day. With map in hand, we studied the layout and decided we wanted to try Adventure Mountain first since the line was overwhelming yesterday. It is a new addition to the park that requires harnesses tied off to a pulley overhead that enables one to navigate an obstacle course that includes a variety of challenges. I opted to take photos with both feet soundly on the ground, convenient, right?

Anyway, it was fun to watch. Though I had to be vigilant or I would lose sight of my gang quickly. Check out Chayse's reluctant wave and grimace...though I think it may have been for my benefit! Nonetheless it was adventure!











A river boat armed with water guns...



met its match on deck!



As the temperatures climbed to 85, we sought out cooler parts of the park. A video of Dolly's life that she narrated and showed the moods of the Smoky Mountains including the thunder and rain...at which point it rained on us!! Chayse wasn't too impressed.

A Southern gospel concert. A replica of an old mill that was working held a delightful surprise downstairs where they made delicious goodies with the fresh ground flour. The cinnamon bread was spectacular, utterly divine, and I even managed to save some for my sister! More rides.

As we headed out of the park, I became distracted by Dolly's museum. I was amazed at how small she really is as I gazed at the outfits she has worn through the years. She loves flamboyance and sparkle! Not to mention those heels she wears...they are tiny too! My favorite things were the notes and songs she had written on slips of paper through the years. She writes everyday. As I read the love note to her husband from years ago I smiled, and as I gazed at her scribbles for Coat of Many Colors I realized a great song emerged on the back of a couple pieces of paper from a small notepad. Stories to be shared. The emotions that link the hearts of people.

Earlier we had explored the little two room cabin that was a replica of her childhood home. Her mother had decorated it when the park opened. Humble. A table that didn't even allow 12 children to gather around, instead the youngest would stand on the bench behind and eat their meals. I am not sure where they slept. It is easy to think it would be completely unmanageable to live as they did...that it would be miserable and hard. Instead, Dolly carries very fond memories of her childhood with a home filled with love. A love that not everyone carries in their hearts. As we squeeze in all the "necessities" in our lifestyles, we struggle to make room for the love...perhaps forgetting that love doesn't grow in material goods. Love blossoms in our hearts when we pause to enjoy the moments that bubble up throughout the days and nights with our loved ones. It is the ordinary moments that bring a special smile and quick hug that fertilize the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment