Monday. 11:35 AM.
As I pull up to preschool to pick up Chayse, my cell phone begins ringing. Reluctantly I answer.
As the school nurse introduces herself, I feel myself inhale sharply. I hear "...breathing difficulty...perspiring...wheezing...left lung...PE...rested...back in class."
I exhale slowly.
Then I hear. "Why doesn't she have an inhaler? According to her records..."
"Admittedly," I state, "she has been stable for several months, so I had let it lapse." I assured her I would contact the doctor.
By late afternoon, I had an inhaler in hand.
Tuesday. 10:30 AM.
Telephone rings. School nurse. I hold my breath. Listening as I scramble to find the keys.
"...Nikela here...yesterday...inhaler in pocket...speaker phone...discuss..."
Suddenly I realize that Nikela is in trouble for carrying her inhaler. I stop in my tracks. Exhale.
"...students cannot carry...doctor's release...administered by nurse...four hours...best if kept in office..."
"What about track? I would like her to have it available for track."
"If only one inhaler...(pointed pause)...check it back out to her at the end of the day...remind...send paperwork...need original packaging...doctor's note..."
I exhale slowly. First I am in trouble for not having an inhaler available for use at school. Then without thinking about protocols...Nikela is now carrying the requested inhaler.
Breathe...In...1...2...3...Out...1...2...3...as I fill out the necessary paperwork while wondering if I will hear from the nurse again tomorrow...
In the meantime, neither of us is breathing easily.
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Try to take that deep breath, if you can. And another.
ReplyDeleteAnd maybe a glass of wine?
haha that is so how it works every time... its a rule... everything has to be complicated when it comes to school... can an inhaler even be dangerous? I don't get that rule at all!!
ReplyDelete