Sunday, May 30, 2010

Redneck...

Ron and I are moving furniture today. Not just any furniture. Well, actually Ron is, and I am his very feeble assistant. My bedroom furniture that I waited years for... With the movers arriving next Monday, it probably shouldn't seem as if we should be worried about furniture...but you see those Allied guys couldn't get the bedroom set into the bedroom, so I suspect those United guys might have a few issues removing it.

My armoire was our first project and now it sits proudly in my living room. Ron had to remove the crown molding from it.

Then came the headboard. I love my headboard. Ron could not get it into the bedroom...at all when it arrived in Pittsburgh. Not even a little. Not even up the stairs. Not wanting to disappoint me he called a guy from the job to come help, removed a few board, and a window. Then they hoisted my headboard in through the window. Yep, a handy little rope and a lot of "man" power had my bedroom set up and waiting for me in my new home in Pittsburgh, PA.

Well, now it is time to take it back down, except this time it is just Ron and me. I am not the wimpiest woman in the world, but...this is a project. Ron was worried about it, I could tell. When I walked into the room to assist he had his rope carefully tied around the headboard. Luckily he has extensive mine rescue training, and to be honest, if I was ever trapped underground, I hope my husband is there to rescue me. He is thoughtful, methodical, and focused...intensely. I know he has practiced lowering men down a raise which requires being wrapped in a basket that is 24" wide and 6'6" long. Beware belly compression may be necessary. The raise is literally a vertical passage, and yep, I mean straight up and down with a ladder and it is only a few feet square...when I was crawling up it, my battery pack would bump the sides.

Anyway, on a tangent now, but Ron has training in ropes and such, so I trust him completely. So I stood by rather helplessly by as he began lowering the bed down. My job was to hold the rope, and then as he leaned out the window, he changed his plan and wanted me outside. Down the stairs I ran and out the door. I reached up to guide it down because he still had the weight on the rope. Thus my bed is ready to go to California. I suspect our neighbors are happy to see their redneck family depart.

Yee Haw...California, here we come!!

1 comment:

  1. hahaha... would luv to have seen this! your man is pretty much MacGyver!

    ReplyDelete