Monday, May 24, 2010

EEeeeeekkkkk!

Once upon a time I had a mouse in my house. I do not like mice in my house. My husband teases me about my anti-mouse stance! But...

Now my husband does not like mice either. Particularly mice that may potentially reside in the vicinity of his new job site that environmental agencies are interested in, as the job cannot go forward until someone determines whether or not the mouse actually exists on the site.

Of course, sitting and waiting for the discovery of a mouse in the field takes money. Lots of money. Every day the job is delayed someone must pay the price of the wait.

Actually, I suspect my husband actually enjoys tormenting these poor environmental folks with his logic.

I can almost hear him pragmatically and professionally, "Let me clarify your concerns. You are telling me that the job must wait for a critter (insert scientific name) we are not even sure exists on this site? It is difficult to explain the delay of a job because of a mouse no one has seen, so perhaps you would like to discuss it with the job manager and owner." Then he graciously takes them next door, he steps in and introduces them and gives a brief of the aforementioned logic, and then he discreetly exits--and I suspect he is chuckling.

Personally, I love the irony of the situation because I am sure these same folks use running water in their homes everyday. I am sure they would be the first to complain if that running water stopped. If one wants running water, it comes at a price. The tunnel to carry water to city of San Francisco needs to be dug. Digging requires disrupting the ground for a temporary time; thus a compromise must be sought.

I find myself wondering...will it be the mouse or Ron?

In my house, it has been no contest for 17 years 11 months and 11 days. See how lucky you are honey?

No comments:

Post a Comment