Sunday morning. Mother's Day. Nestled in the familiar pew with my kids...and, well, an extra one or two. Listening to the story of Lydia. The woman who encountered Paul at the river. The woman who dealt in purple, the extraordinary color of wealth and power in biblical times. Yet Lydia emerges with a deep faith. As the sermon continues, there is recognition that many biblical stories of deep faith are of women. As he shifts to the remembrance of all the women of faith who nurture us...from birth mothers, to adoptive mothers, to teachers, to friends...my mind was drifting in the personal reflections zone and I thought fondly of all the special women in my life...when my reverie was interrupted by my oldest daughter leaning forward and whispering, "Mom, it is funny, but you are all of those things. You are a mom, an adoptive mom, a teacher, a friend..."
And my heart was squeezed tightly in my chest, as Kiahra chimed in agreeing with her sister and adding her perspective, "...it is funny because it is true. Some of your students still call you...you are a mom to many..."
And I silently attempted to breathe. My heart did not take these soft whispers for granted because teenagers and tweens generally don't agree with each other and their compliments and expressions of love are not abundantly shared, ever. As I fought back the tears and smiled into the beautiful faces of my oldest girls I saw an inner beauty and love emulating from their hearts. The overwhelming love that filled me in this moment was like the flood of emotions I felt each time I gazed into the eyes of each of my newborn babies for the first time. I desperately fought the urge to burst into tears of happiness. I have stumbled through many moment of motherhood and this unconditional response of love was overwhelming.
One of my greatest Mother's Day moments...ever. Forever.
Monday, May 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can't agree more with them... Im never suprised at the size of your heart anymore, just really proud to have an amazing woman for a sister (yup i brag about you:P)! Your the type of person who is always thinking of ways to make other people smile... its so refreshing. Im glad you had a wonderful mothers day... love you and miss you!
ReplyDelete