Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Kitchen

Several months ago I finally finished some of the details in my new remodelled kitchen, and my darling sister requested photos. Of course, my intentions were good, but my initiative was low to clean and prep the kitchen for photographs, so the days turned into months. This afternoon, after the realtor left I realized it was my turn to snap a few shots, which, by the way, is far more challenging than it looks attempting to capture the essence of the room from one angle in addition to lighting issues on a rainy day. I was literally rolling around the kitchen and this is the best I have. I should probably learn to edit someday...in my spare time.

My humble kitchen with my favorite cherry cabinets painted in biscotti and distressed! (The cabinet guy was horrified that someone would distress cherry cabinets, but the expolsed cherry compliments the red hues of the floor. As an aside, it is not a popular look in the East.)



A tricky angle but a glimpse of my pantry where the pocket door leads to the dining room that I use as a music room :)



The ceiling has great old beams that are original to the house, and when they matched the former cabinetry they were not very charming, but I love the character they add to the room. A feeble attempt to catpure the essence...



...from a couple angles.



I wanted an island, but I couldn't decide what exactly it was I wanted for a year. When Kristi and I were in IKEA I discovered an island in the scratch and dent as we were browsing...it was close what I had been envisioning. I did not want anything too big, as I value mobility, but I needed a bit more counter surface. I had envisioned something open and useable...and after a few days thought, I decided it was what I wanted. Without hesitation (I am sure for fear the decision may be reversed...) my sweet husband made the IKEA run on Christmas Eve and promptly put it together before our Christmas party. I love, love, love it! Oh, and all it needs is food safe mineral oil occasionally rubbed on the butcher block. I had also thought about staining the legs with the same blue stain on my beadboard...but I think I will leave that for the next folks now.



The original red oak floor with pegs (plugs) is stunning. The floor is actentuated by the beams. We had the floors sanded and finished clear--they seldom escape notice.



Finally, at the other end of the room is a warm fireplace and built-in bookshelves that are designed to be a family room, but I love it as my dining area.



My apologies for my poorly decorated shelves. I have started packing and I just arrange things acceptably on the shelves as I organize the next box. Love this photo, as on the top shelf on the left is evidence we are from Montana! Squirrel control. I did remove it for the realtor's photos :)

2 comments:

  1. I love your pictures. I have always wanted to have a fireplace by my table. I love how cozy it is ...

    The beams. WOW. They add a lot.

    So nice!

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for finally putting up some pics!! I love it... just sad i didn't get to visit!! I want pics of the kids rooms and stuff now! gosh i miss you....

    ReplyDelete