Mother's Day is a bit of a Hallmark holiday, but it does give me time to pause and remember my mother. 39 Mother's Days have come and gone since my arrival into the world. I know for the first 18 years I spent every Mother's Day with her, but since then, the shared days have been few and far between. I actually cannot remember the last time we shared a Mother's Day together. It doesn't matter to me though because we share other wonderful days together, though I wish they were more frequent.
One of those days was last summer when Mom and I spent a few hours shopping...just the two of us. I had so much fun just leisurely browsing and trying on different outfits I probably wouldn't have. In the end I bought a nifty sundress. It was full of color and had my Mom's approval. I hadn't bought a sundress in years. As I was still basking in the joy of finding a cool dress, my mother said it was time to look at shoes. Hummm...shoes. Well, as I pondered that, I realized I could use a new pair of shoes...I hadn't really thought about it. It wasn't until that moment that I realized I seldomly buy shoes. Though I can always fondly count on my mother to be cutely outfitted from head to toe. Of course, she found me the perfect pair--bright yellow and blending perfectly, and I wore them out to dinner for my birthday.
With the approach of this Mother's Day, I took it upon myself to shop for a new dress. I found a dress or two...and a few other things too...but admittedly, this time I headed to the shoe department to seek out the perfect pair to accentuate my new outfit. Immediately, I thought of Mom. She would have enjoyed this adventure. I wish she would have been there to help me.
Mom was always there for me as a child...always. I cannot even begin to share everything she taught me throughout those years. Many lessons I didn't even realize until I became a mother. Perhaps the greatest gift she gave me was what I learned about motherhood from watching her. I am so grateful for the role model I have had, but even more grateful for her unconditional love. Though we are not exactly alike she still loves me. She is quiet. I...well, I love to talk. She wears great shoes. I...well, I am still expanding my selection...but those are hard shoes to fill. I need practice. Ultimately, I am so thankful for my privilege to walk so many years next to those great shoes.
Happy Mother's Day, Mom! I miss you!
Saturday, May 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mom..... everything she said!!! i concur ;)
ReplyDeleteWell put sis... sometimes i mope around wondering why life pulled us all so far away... we may not get to have as many moments now, but they still mean just as much.