Flowers? For me?
As the wrinkled hand extended them to me, the eyes were twinkling and in the serious voice of youth, nervously inquired, "Would you go to the Prom with me?"
Delighted. I laughed.
My interview had arrived.
Incredibly well-read, he loves a good story and a hearty laugh. I love to listen and join the conversation. The hour slipped quickly away, but the introduction lingered on my heart. Sporadically I jotted thoughts down throughout the evening. I think I have discovered a wonderful book filled with stories of living just waiting to be written.
How about an introduction...
She reads fiction. He reads nonfiction. She watches The Republic. He laughs with Seinfeld downstairs.
Side by side on Sunday morning they sit. Side by side on Sunday afternoon they enjoy the symphony. Side by side for 55 years they have waltzed. They know when to dance. They know when to sit out. Real love.
Or...
In the year Charles Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic and Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs, a boy entered the world in Brownsville, Pennsylvania.
With insight...
As he reflected on the history of Brownsville and its slow demise over the past 40 years, he commented, "It is difficult revive a Phoenix when the ashes are so thick."
Then...
He promised to tell me the story, "My Biggest Break."
I can't wait.
ooohhh.... you make me want to know them! a story of 55 years is so rare...i want the secret!!!
ReplyDelete